So now you’ve done your research homework and made some calls and booked consults with at least 3 or 4 designers. Now you need to make a list on what you will ask at the consultation. You can make this list anyway that you feel comfortable. On your iPad, in MS Word, on paper. You will need to jot down their answers so you can remember them since you will be sitting down with several companies. You can’t recall everything. Here are some examples:
1. How long have they been in business?
2. How many years experience does the web designer have?
3. You would like a list of references (at least 15 clients)
4. Can they design you a site that you can manage and have access to?
5. Is it a one time design fee or a monthly fee?
6. You want to add fresh content regularly, will they show you how to make changes to your site or do you pay them for updates?
7. Do they know how to help you market your site online once its been launched or do you need to hire a marketing firm separately?
8. Do they include basic SEO as they build your site or do you have to hire a 3rd party?
9. Do they have a portfolio online for you to view? (if they didn’t have one at the time you did your online research)
10. Do you own the site after the design is done? (copyright law states that you own the site after the job is paid in FULL. Now you know this BUT you want to hear what they have to say.)
11. Is there a contract or written agreement for both parties to sign?
These are just some basics, there’s always more good questions that have come up at our consults. This is by no means a comprehensive list, but good starter questions. Post a comment if you have a question that should be on this list.